William, who goes by “Will,” graduated from Cimarron-Memorial High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. After high school, William attended the Honors College at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV), and graduated cum laude with University Honors with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with an emphasis in Management, in 2002.
- UNLV - B.S. Business Administration, cum laude with University Honors,
- UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law (2005) - J.D.
Certifications & Achievements
- AV Preeminent Rating - Martindale-Hubbell
- 10 AVVO Rating
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - Super Lawyers Magazine, 2019-2021
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - Rising Star - 2015-16
- 2021 NJA Badger Award
Presentations / Publications
- State Bar of Nevada Annual Meeting – Black Letter Law in Nevada
- Clark County Bar Association CLE – Black Letter Law in Nevada
- “Importance of Deterrence in Tort Law.” The Advocate. November/December 2016.
- Is the Jury the Conscience of the Community? The Advocate. January/February 2017.
- "What We Can Learn From the Las Vegas Golden Knights." The Advocate. September 2018, p. 28-31
- "Using Tech in the Practice of Law." COMMUNIQUE. November 2018: p. 18-19
- “Remember the Dragon: Lessons from Bruce Lee on Trial Advocacy.” The Advocate. September/October 2020, p. 22-28
- Nevada Justice Association Convention – October 8, 2021 – Diversity Panel
About William Sykes
Will attended the Honors College at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV), and graduated cum laude with University Honors with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with an emphasis in Management, in 2002.
After college William attended law school at the William S. Boyd School of Law, and earned his J.D. in 2005. During law school William was a member of the Society of Advocates, and successfully competed on the UNLV Jessup International Moot Court Team.
During law school, William interned for a district court judge in the Eighth Judicial District Court of Nevada, and also interned for Justice Michael L. Douglas at the Supreme Court of Nevada. William also worked for a small law firm focusing on business litigation.
In 2013, he received an AV-rating from his peers through Martindale-Hubbell, achieving the highest possible rating for ethics and legal ability. In 2015, Will was selected to be a Super Lawyers Mountain States Rising Star.
After law school, William worked for Justice Michael L. Douglas at the Supreme Court of Nevada as a judicial law clerk for two years.
William joined what was then known as Claggett & Associates in 2008 as a Las Vegas personal injury attorney, and subsequently became a partner at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm and continues to vigorously represent the firm’s clients in state and federal courts.
He currently focuses his practice on catastrophic injury and wrongful death, including serious injuries and deaths caused by defective products, commercial trucking wrecks, automobile/motorcycle/bicycle collisions, slip and falls, drowning and aquatic injuries, assault and battery, negligent security, residential treatment center abuse and neglect, and general premises liability.
Will has personally obtained numerous 7 and 8-figure settlements for clients, including a $21 million settlement, a $6.5 million settlement, a $5 million non-confidential settlement, and was trial co-counsel in a $38.8 million jury verdict in a commercial trucking wrongful death case with his partner Sean Claggett. When he’s not in trial, he personally handles a number of matters with his litigation team at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm.
Will is the founding chair and current chair of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee of the Nevada Justice Association, he’s a member of the Board of Governors of the Nevada Justice Association, and he is a member of the Board of Governors for Citizens for Justice.
Will is also a member of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee for Equity at the Clark County Bar Association, a member of the Las Vegas chapter of the National Bar Association, and the Latino Bar Association.
In 2021, Will was proud to receive the 2021 Badger Award from the Nevada Justice Association for his work on the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee of the Nevada Justice Association.
In his spare time, Will enjoys spending time with his family and travel.