Las Vegas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Legal help for pedestrians seriously injured by cars and trucks
Las Vegas roadways are dangerous for pedestrians. It seems there’s a story on the news every day about a pedestrian being hit while in a marked crosswalk. Pedestrian accidents are some of the greatest tragedies we see here at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm. Vulnerable pedestrians don’t stand a chance when going up against motor vehicles. These accidents can cause bones fractures, internal bleeding, crush injuries, concussion, spinal cord injury, and death.
Pedestrian accidents many times involve children, making those cases even more difficult. Many times, commercial vehicles like tractor trailers or garbage trucks are in a hurry and don’t pay proper attention to pedestrians. This can result in tragic consequences. We have handled high profile pedestrian accident jury trials and know how to win these cases. The injury attorneys at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm help ensure the safety of the community by holding negligent parties responsible for their actions. By winning landmark cases for our clients, we not only help the people of Las Vegas, but make our community a safer place to live and work.
“Absolute pleasure to work with. I never thought I would need a lawyer in my lifetime; I have very limited of how the whole process works. I am sure glad I went with them. This firm makes the entire process so smooth and streamlined. Always available to answer questions or receive documents. I hope I never have to use a lawyer again, but if I do, they are 100% my first choice.” – Erik P.
What areas of Las Vegas are most dangerous for pedestrians?
One of the most dangerous areas in the state for pedestrians is Southern Nevada’s Boulder Highway, which in 2015 was named the deadliest intersection in the state, with 12 pedestrians killed in accidents.
Several safety initiatives are in the works to make Boulder Highway safer for pedestrians, including flashing traffic beacons, crosswalks at eight major intersections, and larger medians. While Boulder Highway is statistically the most dangerous area for pedestrians in Las Vegas, the reality is that any major roadway can be a fatal hazard for pedestrians.
Pedestrians are at the highest risk for accident and injury:
- Between intersections (mid-block)
- When there’s no crosswalk
- After dark
- When linked to drug or alcohol impairment
Pedestrians are most vulnerable near highways or major intersections with multiple lanes of traffic going in different directions. Improper crossing, jaywalking, and suddenly darting into the roadway are very common causes of pedestrian accidents. When walking in Las Vegas, and especially on the Strip, ensure you take these safety tips into consideration.
Some important Las Vegas pedestrian accident statistics
According to the Nevada Strategic Highway Safety Plan, there were 79 pedestrian deaths and 158 injuries in Nevada in 2018. Between 2014 and 2018, pedestrian deaths increased an average of 8.9 percent annually. Serious injuries increased an average of 4.8 percent. The Highway Safety Plan also reports the most common factors in pedestrian accidents:
- Intersections (34%), impairment (23%), and older drivers (13%)
- Male at-fault drivers, age 21–45
- Male pedestrian serious injuries, age 26–55
- Male pedestrian fatalities, age 51–65
- Crashes occurred most often on weekdays (Monday through Friday)
- Time of day: noon to midnight
- Pedestrian crashes occurred most often at night, in dark conditions (76%) and dark with light conditions (62%)
Who is liable for my injuries after a pedestrian accident?
You may experience many severe injuries after being struck by a vehicle. These can range from serious to catastrophic, including:
| || |
Every motorist is responsible for their actions on the road and must be held to a standard of reasonable care. They are required to drive carefully and operate their vehicle in a way that any normal and careful person would do in the same circumstances.
Many times, motorists do not pay full attention to their surroundings. Whether it’s texting and driving or letting something else distract them, motorists do not always pay attention to pedestrians. If you’ve driven on Las Vegas roadways, you’ve seen how many people run red lights and speed up instead of slow down at intersections. All of this places pedestrians in even more danger.
In many pedestrian accidents, the motorist and their insurance company will blame the pedestrian. Las Vegas is not a pedestrian-friendly city, and there are frequent news stories where pedestrians were jaywalking or acting unsafely, thus contributing to the accident. Blaming the pedestrian then becomes a tactic in every case for the insurance companies. But even if you have some fault as the pedestrian, you can still pursue a claim against the driver. Nevada is a comparative negligence state, which means a jury may assign some percentage of fault to the plaintiff yet still return a verdict in the pedestrian’s favor. You may still be eligible for a sizable settlement or judgment even if you were partially at fault.
How can your law firm help with my Las Vegas injury case?
Hiring an attorney to handle your personal injury case takes much of the stress and hassle out of the experience. Our firm does everything from dealing with insurance claims adjusters, performing independent investigations, negotiating a fair settlement, going to trial, to evaluating claims. An insurance company will do everything in their power to get you to accept a lower settlement than you deserve. At Claggett & Sykes Law Firm, we’re dedicated to taking that power from the insurance company and giving it back to you.
We stand out from other Vegas attorneys, offering:
- The experience to back you up. The pedestrian accident attorneys at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm know personal injury law. As residents of the Las Vegas area ourselves, we know the intricacies of local laws and how they might affect your case. Our attorneys have decades of combined experience that they’re ready to put to work for you. Most of our partners are locally educated and pillar members of our community. When you choose Claggett & Sykes Law Firm to represent you, you’re getting the power of a law firm well-respected in the community, and the experience to negotiate a fair settlement or jury verdict for your claim.
- Fair damages for your injuries. Many victims of pedestrian accidents have no idea how much their case is worth. We work closely with you so you understand the full extent of your case . We deal with insurance companies to fully evaluate your claim, which may include medical bills, lost wages, and the expected cost of future care, as well as intangible costs such as physical pain, suffering, and any loss in life quality.
- Contingency fee-based work. Our attorneys know that paying for a lawyer is the last thing you want to think about, especially when you’re recovering from a serious injury. We believe that legal representation is a right that should be accessible to all. That’s why we offer our personal injury legal services on a contingency-fee basis. This means you won’t owe any attorney’s fees unless we win a settlement or court judgment on your behalf. This allows us to be selective in the types of cases we handle, and gives you peace of mind knowing that we’re working hard to resolve your case. We also offer a free initial consultation to every prospective client.
Is there a pedestrian accident attorney near me?
Claggett & Sykes Law Firm is located here in Las Vegas on Meadows Lane at Valley View and 95, near Springs Preserve and Meadows Mall. If you’d rather meet via phone or video call, however, we also provide that flexibility for our clients. Just ask and we’re happy to accommodate you.
Talk to a skilled Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorney
If you or a loved one were hit by a car or other vehicle, let the pedestrian accident attorneys at Claggett & Sykes Law Firm help. We help clients secure damages for their losses, through settlement or jury verdict, with strong preparation, investigation, and advocacy. Contact us for a free evaluation of your case with our Las Vegas legal team. Call 702-333-7777 or fill out our contact form today.